Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Day 6- Commuting with the Bianchi San Jose

Success!! Day 6

Weather: 68 deg F. muggy, drizzle, cloudy
Time I left my house:  7.56 am.
Time I arrived at work: 8:33 am
Distance: 8.34 miles
Avg. Speed: 13.5
Max Speed: 20.4
Time: 37 min.

Pre-game: Wife had the kids again, so off they went. I took the dog out and left him breakfast, just so I could get out at a decent time (I had to get there and change before a REQUIRED appearance at this month’s Employee of the Month ceremony at our company at 8:45 am). Since the weather called for rain, I was pretty excited to take the San Jose (St. Joe) out today. I finally assembled St. Joe last night: I put the $9 Schwinn computer and stock pedals on, as well  as tightening everything (although I had trouble inflating the tires, so I used the presta valve adapter this morning without incident.). 

I knew I was going to be slower today and it didn’t rain at all during the ride, just a few drizzles. This bike is awesome. Even though it’s a singlespeed, I still kept normal avg. time (my Max Time fell as well as my Trip Time). Although you realize pretty quickly what areas on your route are sort of harder when you don’t have gears. But I pushed through it and I think my body’s getting better because of it. 

It’s my first ride with the Planet Bike fenders and they were awesome. At first I thought I heard rattling, but realized that was just all the pebbles, grit and whatever coming up from the road. I also like the tires

I didn’t have time to get another set of clipless pedals, so I rode with the stock pedals. It’s a good feeling to know that I don’t have to worry about unclipping. I do wonder if it makes a difference on a singlespeed.


UPDATE: The ride home.

Weather: 73 deg F. bit of drizzle, very muggy, uncomfortable, cr#ppy
Distance: 8.38 miles
Avg. Speed: 13.4
Max Speed: 19.9
Time: 37.30 min.

Going home on a singlespeed was a bit of a challenge for me- I just have to adapt that I need to work a little harder and accept I can’t go faster on downhills. What still amazes me is that I do still have the same avg. speed but my max speed lowered and my trip time wasn’t as bad. All in all, it was great fun. I didn’t have to think, and stopped looking at the cyclocomputer because, well, there wasn’t a point. I knew my max wasn’t getting any higher down the hill, so I bent down and enjoyed coasting. I just enjoyed the ride. My legs are paying for it. There wasn’t too much rain, a little drizzle, but there were puddles on the street. Thank God for the fenders. There was a little spray when I went through, but no splash or splatter at all- these fenders rock.


No comments:

Post a Comment