Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Day Five-Going Clipless Baby!!

Success!! Day 5

Weather: 59 deg F. beautiful, sunny with a little headwind
Time I left my house: Little late - 8.04am.
Time I arrived at work: 8:38 am
Distance: 8.20 miles
Avg. Speed: 14.1
Max Speed: 23.3
Time: 35 min..

Pre-game: Wife had the kids again, so off they went around 7:20am (almost forgot to pack my son’s security blanket!). Was kind of excited since I put the new Shimano M520 pedals for a clipless adventure! I won’t mention the grief and pain it was to get the stock pedals off (let’s just say the folks didn’t grease them when they installed the stock, so they were stuck. Solution: Vice grip, WD40 and a nice rubber mallet).

Traffic was OK, at one point at a light, I forgot I was clipped and almost fell- luckily, my left foot got out before I hit the ground. It’s funny how it’s as if you don’t remember that you’re clipped in until you make a stop (or need to).

Overall the ride was good, not sure if the clipless made me faster, but it definitely helped during the climbs and I didn’t have to fumble around looking for the cage which I’m usually doing with the cage pedals that came stock. It does take getting used to, however, looking for the spot where the cleat the the pedals meet. The MT21 shoes, which are MTB shoes as well as indoor, served great as I didn’t have to tap tap tap around the place.

UPDATE: The ride home.

Weather: 67 deg F. kind or cool, strong headwind
Distance: 8.41 miles
Avg. Speed: 13.5
Max Speed: 24.7
Time: 37.25 min..

Damn you wind! I was almost entirely riding the drops to compensate my slow ass in the wind, which explains my slower average speed. Had my first near miss- across a squirrely section of road where I need to hit the sidewalk (I know, but there’s the dangerous route or the safer route along the sidewalk). Little did I know a car was turning into McD’s for dinner. I stopped and turned and skidded a little, I gues due to the weight of my rack and panniers, and went “Hey!” No reaction from the driver, much less acknowledgement. When they say don’t ride on the sidewalk, that’s why kids! I’m going to have to be vigilant. Mind you, this was in bright, beautiful, DAYLIGHT. I can’t imagine what would happen if it were raining or night time. Kind of an eye opener. I got to remind myself to check my back tire treads- I’m so p---ssed!




No comments:

Post a Comment