Thursday, November 19, 2009

40- NEW PB with the Schwinn- 27 Minutes Flat! And then... HUBRIS!! Two Flats. In the Dark. In the Rain.

Success!! Day 40

Weather: 48 deg F. cool, a little headwind
Time I left my house: Late (surprise) 8:23 am
Time I arrived at work: 8:52 am
Distance: 8.08 miles
Avg. Speed: 18
Max Speed: 25
Time: 27.00 min.

Pre-game: I scrambled out early enough, but the sitter was chatting up a storm, which means I got out later than expected. All is forgiven…look at the new time!

Nice ride today- It wasn’t too cold. After a day with my Roubaix last week (35 miler in the Bayville area, which was awesome) I took a little rest but my legs are better for it. I topped my avg. and my time today as a PB. Which was good because I was running a bit late. I noticed my waterbottle has been leaking, don’t know if that warrants another bottle… Gatorade got all over my Roubaix last week. Not sure why that happens.

Hopefully I can ride again this weekend as it pays back in huge dividends. Of course my night ride home will be shite but who cares.

UPDATE: The ride home. FAIL

Weather: 53 deg. F cool, RAIN, a little headwind
Distance: 8.49 miles
Avg. Speed: 8
Max Speed: 25
Time: 1.01

So, it actually rained today, and everyone was concerned (as usual) of my ride home. I assured them of my dayglo rain jacket (which I took off later… wasn’t raining) and my lights. It was going pretty nice when two miles left, I start feeling a little ‘bouncy’ with each pedal stroke. I pull over and notice my rear wheel flat. Crap. Then I hear a hissing noise. My front wheel as well… flat. I had only one extra tube and a patch kit, although I couldn’t bring myself to patch in the dark and rain, only being two miles from home. So… on my 2 mile walk home, I decided this:

1. Always bring two tubes
2. Get new tires. Ultragatorskins or Armadillos or Marathons Plus
3. Start driving again when it rains. (joke… well not really, I was so p___ssed last night.

I placed my issues on bf… so it will be interesting to see what pops up. I know it’s a necessary evil that comes with bike commuting, but two flats at the same time?? In the dark?? C’mon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment