Friday, May 22, 2009

Day Three

Success!! Today was the third time of riding into work.

Weather: 60 deg F. Sunny with a headwind.
Time I left my house:  Late - 8.13am.
Time I arrived at work: 8:51 am
Distance: 8.21 miles
Avg. Speed: 12.7
Max Speed: 18.6
Time: 38 min.41 sec. 

Pre-game: My wife is home sick due to a possible virus at school (for those of you following the H1N1 news as it pertains to NYC schools, my wife’s school, PS 20, is on the DOH ‘watch’ list. Everyone and the parents think it should be closed, contrary to the Mayor and UFT President’s beliefs. There were 200 kids total sick this week, and more staff called in. My wife called in because she had felt weak and ran a slight fever. We’re all pretty angry at the decisions made, hopefully they close the school down and get to disinfecting!) Sooo, I was able to ride today, which was awesome, albeit, I had to leave late since she woke up later than usual.  I don’t mind, but I’d rather not make like I’m on a time trial on my way to work.

As I left, the traffic was a little heavier I guess since I left later – what a difference 13 minutes makes. 

Overall the ride was OK, there was a strong headwind at times, making the spinning difficult.  

On the way I was amazed at how many motorists accommodated me without incident. Kudos to you all!

As I got in, I let the guys downstairs know Danny let me park my bike in their garage. I hope it’s OK (and paranoid they will take it for a ride a la Ferris Bueller’s Day Off). I kind of liked locking the bike up, that way I don’t have to make any small talk (I was running late) since I had to change. I got to my desk 9:03am. Not too bad, I beat one coworker who drove in (but who’s keeping track? Yeah right!). Luckily, both bosses are out today. Which is good, being off the bike almost a week I can feel the difference. Just call me Old Man River.

Update: The Ride Home

Distance: 8.48 miles
Avg. Speed: 13.3
Max Speed: 20.9
Time: 38 min.15 sec. 
Total Commuting Miles: 50 miles

Warm on the way back- 80 degrees F. and no wind. I increased my avg. speed and my wife and kids were waiting for me at home on the front lawn. My wife said,"Wow, that was quick!" Picture me smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment