Friday, August 21, 2009

21-D!@#n You Wind! Dang it Rain!!

Success!! Day 21

Weather: 79 deg F. HOT, muggy, CRAZY headwind
Time I left my house: 8:03 am.
Time I arrived at work: 8:45 am
Distance: 8.24 miles
Avg. Speed: 13.7
Max Speed: 20.8
Time: 36.11 min.

Pre-game: It’s a Friday so I didn’t have anything to worry about. My kid woke up late and my wife didn’t have anything planned so I packed and left on time, without incident.

Ride was OK. The headwind was a killer. Hurricane Bill is coming up NE so it brings this wind and huge surf (which I wish I could watch since it’s been flat all summer). It seems I was working harder to get to 13 mph. average speed. Even with the gearing it was tough and it took 36 minutes (as opposed to 33 minutes.) I wonder what the ride home will be like… and it looks like rain.

Since the forecast called for T-storms later on, I took the Schwinn out again, it’s such a solid bike, it’s like a truck. I’m liking the mountain biking gearing. One thing I'm noticing, is my time off the line is a little slower, I guess because of the extra bulk/weight of the actual bike. I'm curious to see how this baby is off the line fully loaded. How do you tourers start? And, again, the pedals are giving me an issue. I’m constantly trying to turn to get it to clip. I look like such a kook trying to clip in after a light. Might have to get another pair of M520’s that’s on the Sequoia.

UPDATE: The ride home.

Weather: 79 deg.F dark, humid, thunderstorm
Distance: 8.52 miles
Avg. Speed: 15.1
Max Speed: 24.1
Time: 33.59

It turned to what looked like the apocalypse at 4pm and the Doppler showed a bright orange and red system coming in- my wife called and asked to pick me up. I declined on the thought that I would try to make it before it was a torrential downpour. I did make home in time, amazed at my speed, it did shower for a bit and I heard some thunder, but nothing too bad. I really need to get some waterproof panniers as I found my clothes wet once I got home. Had I rode in, this would been not too great to wear an oxford with a nice wet stain on it. I also wished my shoe covers would fit so my shoes wouldn't be as soaked. Well, we'll see if Performance could send me the right size. Or maybe I should buy a proper shoe (hmmm)? cha ching!


No comments:

Post a Comment