Wednesday, August 12, 2009

18-Back From Vacation

Success!! Day 18

Weather: 75 deg F. humid, warm, a bit of headwind
Time I left my house: LATE!!! 8.16 am.
Time I arrived at work: 8:49 am
Distance: 8.17 miles
Avg. Speed: 14.8
Max Speed: 23.5
Time: 33.06 min.

Pre-game: Well, it’s been a week and some since I rode because I had a nice relaxing vacation. I’m sure no one’s reading this blog anyway, so nothing was missed, But, for those interested, within the week I had: my Sequoia tuned; my new rain bike- the Schwinn World DLX (review and pics to follow) delivered; my Spin Doctor repair stand (soon to follow) delivered as well. I also took a nice ride (car ride) to Lake George with the family for a few days. It was beautiful. Since my wife and I were there 13 years ago when we were dating, we found it funny to come back married with children. It’s such a family-oriented place. The kids loved it. Especially the 4-year old. He couldn’t get enough of the hotel pool and the Frankenstein monster in front of the museum. The bonus was fireworks over the lake on our last night. Although a couple days on the road had us thinking of getting (yikes) a mini van or an SUV with a third row seat and DVD player as our 4 year old was terribly bored on the way back. When we got home I also found out that one of my beloved filmmakers had died suddenly- John Hughes. I looked for anything on the web when I got back and I found this beautiful story and documentary in progress. I could go on about this, but this is a bike commuters’ blog. I just want to say RIP John Hughes and my condolences to his family. I wish I had a chance to thank you.

Ride was Great, considering the temps. Such a difference after getting tuned- smooth gear shifting and no noise chain (which could be my doing of not lubing it enough). Thanks Mineola Bike for free tune-ups included with my Sequioa purchase! Now that I have a repair stand, I can hopefully learn to tune on my own.

UPDATE: The Ride Home

Weather: 80 deg.F wet, humid and a lot of headwind after the storm
Distance: 8.40miles
Avg. Speed: 13.7
Max Speed: 20.9
Time: 36.46

I really wished I had my Schwinn DLX set…the bike was needed as I rode through some nasty puddles which accounted for the nice back splatter on my rain jacket and ass. I just need to get the computer on it and maybe take of the cages on the pedals. I’m excited to get on it as it’s such a great tourer for the money. I should have a review on it soon, but need some time to get some pics together and then get it up. Regardless, the ride was poor, the wind—coupled with my weak legs (haven’t been riding for over a week, so I’m feeling shaky) had me put some minutes on my time and lowered my avg. speed. Luckily, it wasn’t a downpour, but the rain jacket, although effective for keeping rain off, is like rubber suit that wrestlers/fighters wear to cut water weight. I was drenched underneath.

No comments:

Post a Comment