Wednesday, September 16, 2009

28- 28 Minutes and 17 Avg. Time... Not to Mention My First Flat

Success (sort of)!! Day 28

Weather: 56 deg F. cooler, a little headwind
Time I left my house: REALLY LATE 8:20 am.
Time I arrived at work: 8:55 am
Distance: 8.23 miles
Avg. Speed: 17.3
Max Speed: 27.1
Time: 28.39 min.

Pre-game: So my wife asked me to feed the little one fruit as well as the oatmeal, which made me think about my time if I wanted to get out early, but the kid ate like a champ. I still got out fairly late and took the Schwinn out again because it called for some showers.

Ride was OK. I made like I was on a time trial again with the Schwinn; I made a good amount of green lights and was amazed at my times! 17 for avg. and new PB at 28 minutes!! This can’t be right- it must be off. But I did make it to my desk 9 am on the dot—it was commented though that I was putting on my tie while I was logging on my Mac.

Got my first puncture (FLAT) today- albeit it was right when I was pulling into work, so thank the Lord I made it to work in that kind of time. I’m going to have to change it during my lunch, but it’s strange that my Conti’s blew after only 75 miles. I wonder if it was from that gash on the last ride. And of course, it’s on the rear tire, so I’ll have to bring the wipes with me. Way it goes… just lucky I got to work on time. I can’t imagine fixing a flat as I’m running my late TT pace.

UPDATE: The ride home.

Weather: 62 deg.F cool, headwind
Distance: 8.49 miles
Avg. Speed: 14.7
Max Speed: 23.5
Time: 34.46

As I try in the afternoon after my insane TT-like morning, try as I might, I can’t be any slower. I guess my legs give it for the morning and the return home is just a wash. The new tube was on and in good shape, although I was still riding with extreme caution and praying the whole way.

Lunchtime tire fix took me 20 minutes, which concerns me, since it was my first tire change, and in a cush environment (near the mailroom garage). I have to say, the C02 pump I got kicks ass and will need to get another cartridge before I head out again. I don’t know how folks pump tires manually with all that pressure to get to. One rookie moment: I forgot to release the rear brake calipers so the tire would get in easier. Of course, the mailroom guys were in awe of me fixing my own flat- they thought I’d bring it to an LBS. The closest LBS is 8 miles away. Go figure.


No comments:

Post a Comment