Thursday, September 10, 2009

27-Holy Sh!@#t! Broke New PB on the Schwinn??!!! Broke 30 min Mark!

Success!! Day 27

Weather: 58 deg F. cooler, a little headwind
Time I left my house: LATE 8:17 am.
Time I arrived at work: 8:53 am
Distance: 8.23 miles
Avg. Speed: 16.4 NICE!!
Max Speed: 27.8 What??!!!
Time: 30.10 min. ??!!

Pre-game: It’s now the Fall and my mornings are shot- I get my 4 yr old ready as my wife gets ready, takes him with her to work to his daycare; I get my 15 month old changed, fed and out of the door to the sitter’s, all of this so I can get home and get my gear ready to bike. I got out later than usual- need to streamline some of the pre-ride prep, so I had to make it to work pretty fast.

Ride was OK. I made like I was on a time trial with my Schwinn World DLX. What I can’t believe are my numbers today: 27.8 max; 16.4 avg and 30.10 min time- all PB!!! This is crazy. This is on my touring/rain bike that is steel and has a rack and fenders and not on my Specialized road bike! I don’t know if it’s the tiagra brifters and the deore rear derailleur or it’s my riding 5 days last week (and within that are 2 days of 25 milers within 1 hour and a half) and it’s got my legs in superhero mode or it’s just the Schwinn cyclocomputer I got at Wally world that is playing tricks on me!! Either way, I’m in shock.

Regardless, I hurried to my desk and as I sat down my Mac clock was 9am so I just made it…hopefully I won’t have to scramble like that again, but it was nuts. Every time I looked down I couldn’t believe the cruising speed at some parts of the commute. Crazy, I tell you.

And can I just say how I’m so in love with the Tiagra brifters, I really do think it makes a difference.

UPDATE: The ride home.

Weather: 73 deg.F cool, crazy headwind
Distance: 8.49 miles
Avg. Speed: 14.4
Max Speed: 22.4
Time: 35.31

As much as I did this morning, this afternoon stunk. The headwind was like a hand of a bully holding my forehead and my legs from this morning was recovering, hence, the 35 min. home and 14 mph avg. speed. It amazes me how these Continentals hold up- there’s glass everywhere in some spots that I don’t recall seeing the other day, and I’m never at the skill to dodge them all, so I think I scraped the back tire. When I got home and checked, I was right, no glass was embedded, but it was a nice cut on the surface. Not sure if I should put some Tuffy’s underneath, but… knock wood, it’s been great so far these Contis Ultra Sports.


No comments:

Post a Comment