Thursday, October 29, 2009

36-Riding With a Blinky and Showing an SUV Mom The Way

Success!! Day 36

Weather: 47 deg F. much cooler, a lot of headwind and crosswinds
Time I left my house: L-a-t-e! 8:24 am
Time I arrived at work: 8:54 am
Distance: 8.08 miles
Avg. Speed: 17.5
Max Speed: 24.4
Time: 27.46 min.

Pre-game: Had to scramble out the door again- little one wasn’t eating as fast as usual, so I got out longer than expected.

Not a bad ride today. I’m convinced my new detour is cutting a few minutes on my time and helping my avg. speed. Used the new Planet Bike Superflash rear blinky- since there was overcast and fog. A little sense of security there.

I’m considering a windproof vest, since I wore two coolmax type t-shirts that did really nothing to insulate my core. And it was pretty chilly. Twenty minutes in I was OK, but the first couple of miles were chilly willy.

Funny incident at a red light today: I was barreling downhill on the service road to a red light, there was a SUV mom who was certain she was going to hit me as she was coming from my left on the intersection, but I guess she was surprised I could stop on a dime much easier than any car going down that hill. Besides, she was off towards the on-coming traffic lane, so I pointed to where she should go, and she shot me with a look of both shock and annoyance. And what’s funny is that she had a bike rack to the rear hitch.

UPDATE: The ride home.

Weather: 57 deg.F cooler, a bit of headwind
Distance: 8.45 miles
Avg. Speed: 15.8
Max Speed: 23.9
Time: 32.12

Nice ride home. Turned on the Superflash once I was at a light as I left a little later from the office and the twilight was going on. It got dark quickly out and I went from shades to no shades halfway home. I’m curious to know how the Planet Bike Superflash looks from the car’s perspective. Just looking at it from my bike is annoying enough, which is a good thing. Next week Daylight savings returns which means riding in the dark. I’ll have to get my reflective vest on soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment