Tuesday, July 28, 2009

17-"...I Wouldn't Want to Sit Next to You!"

Success!! Day 17

Weather: 75 deg F. humid, warm, headwind
Time I left my house: 8.07 am.
Time I arrived at work: 8:41 am
Distance: 8.14 miles
Avg. Speed: 14.4
Max Speed: 23.1
Time: 33.54 min.

Pre-game: Had a better day of getting ready, still sort of tired but OK. I looked at the weather and of course, hazy, hot and humid. Already it’s over 70 degrees but the humidity is what gets you. I left again, with my son and wife at the door, waving to me. I really don’t ever want to go to work whenever I see that. I don’t know how people leave, bike or not.

Ride was OK, considering the temps. I hit a lot of greens along the way which explains the shorter trip time. My legs are still sore and I haven’t the strength to go all out on the hills, which makes me think the singlespeed was a bad choice. Maybe good for urban commuting, but out here in the ‘burbs, with hills, I dunno.

Some a__hole commented when I came in (I caught him at a couple lights before the office, and then I saw him in the parking lot, coming in at the same time even with his corvette beating me at the light). “You’re a brave man for riding in today. It's murder out here. I wouldn’t want to sit next to you!” I smiled, took the high road, because I couldn’t be bothered. I guess it’s the way it goes. Looking back, it sort of bothered me for not having a witty retort, I guess I was in the zone from riding or just not on it. I should have said,”Well,you won’t have to, since I’m sitting upstairs in the office and you’re sitting in the basement by the mailroom. BTW, I'm going to be relaxing at home while you're at your second job as security for one of the worst hospitals in Long Island. Take care brotha!” But that would be small and petty.

UPDATE: The ride home.

Weather: 85 deg F. hot, humid, headwind
Distance: 8.40 miles
Avg. Speed: 14.8
Max Speed: 24.4
Time: 34.07 min.

It was an OK ride- even if it was so hot and humid. It’s been bad trying to avoid glass shards on the road, sometimes difficult when you’re going at a steady pace. I found a little piece sticking out of my front tire – took it out so hopefully there were no other pieces in there. I’ll have to inspect the wheels after every ride it’s been that bad. No flats yet (knock wood) but will have to take preventative measures, maybe some ‘tuffy’ in the tires.



No comments:

Post a Comment