Monday, July 6, 2009

Day 8- First 100 Miles on the Specialized Sequioa!

Success!! Day 8! Hit 100 miles today!!

Weather: 68 deg F. beautaceous not much humidity and sunny
Time I left my house: late again! 8.07 am.
Time I arrived at work: 8:42 am
Distance: 8.15 miles
Avg. Speed: 13.9
Max Speed: 23.6
Time: 35.13 min.

Pre-game: Summer is here! Just had to get my 4-year old ready for summer camp today- his first day- and then I had to pack up. There’s got to be a faster way to put on my panniers.

Since it’s summer and holiday weekend, the roads were pretty empty as far as cars go, so I can deal. I put one of my Planet Bike rack bolts onto my cleat to secure it- not perfect but good enough until I find SPD bolts at an LBS. I see them on line for 6 bucks. I could tell you what a pain it was to take my cleat out of my Shimano 520 pedals, but then it would sound like whining.

Regardless, it was another good ride in. My legs are feeling sore, so not the best avg. time, but should get better once I’m back in routine. The Tour on Versus is getting me motivated. Alright, it sounds too cliché, but seeing the peloton and watching these guys fly through France’s countryside’s got to have an effect on you- even if you’re not a professional.

Since the temps are getting higher, apparently I’m starting to sweat a bit once I get in and even after my good baby-wipe sponge bath, I still have a trickle on my forehead. So I splash some cold water which helps a lot. The A/C kicks ass in the building so after 20 minutes, I’m good to go. For those of you with showers at your office, I’m insanely jealous. Here's a nice article from Louis Jones from Kiplinger's about Bike Commuting.


UPDATE: The ride home.

Weather: 79 deg F. sunny and very muggy
Distance: 8.52 miles
Avg. Speed: 14.6
Max Speed: 24
Time: 37.13 min.

It was a nice ride home, however, I got out a little later, and there were a ton of cars in this one intersection near my office, so it was kind of scary to maneuver with all those cars waiting for the light. It cold be easy for a seasoned rider, but I was a little off- saw my boss in her Infiniti at a light and waved to her- sitting inside her nice A/C’d luxury vehicle. I’m happy I’m getting the avg. speed up there- hopefully make it to 16 mph.

No comments:

Post a Comment